It only takes 24-48 hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into calculus (tartar)! A daily home cleaning regimen will help control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need special attention from your dentist.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, Dr. Vazira and her dental hygienist will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), at least two to four times a year. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure that they are healthy. Plaque and calculus that are difficult for you to remove on a daily basis will be removed from above and below the gum line.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions. Learn more about our Digital X-rays.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed. (Electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, etc.)
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Good oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential in maintaining dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control!
Need to make a cleaning appointment?
The first step towards a beautiful, healthy smile is to schedule an appointment.
Please contact our office by phone or complete an online appointment request.